Third Wave Fall 2009 Internship Opportunities
Third Wave is a feminist, activist foundation that works nationally to support young women and transgender youth ages 15 to 30. Through strategic grantmaking, leadership development, and philanthropic advocacy, we support groups and individuals working towards gender, racial, economic, and social justice.
Third Wave is led by a board of young women, men, and transgender activists striving to combat inequalities that we ourselves face as a result of our age, gender, race, sexual orientation, economic status, or level of education. By empowering young women and transgender youth nationwide, Third Wave is building a lasting foundation for feminist youth activism around the country.
Why intern at Third Wave? See what some of Third Wave's interns have had to say about their experience here!
External Relations Intern ship
We are seeking two interns to work part-time (15 - 20 hrs/week) for the Fall 2009 semester (with an option to continue in the spring), for school credit or work-study hours, or a modest hourly wage if other funds cannot be secured.
The External Relations Intern (s) will gain hands-on experience and knowledge—we are a small, passionate staff and guarantee you will be challenged and valued on our team. The External Relations intern(s) will have the opportunity to take the lead in a couple of new projects we are planning on implementing and will have a significant amount of responsibility, so it's a great way to maximize your internship experience. Interns will work with the Director of External Relations and External Relations Officer.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- conducting research on prospective donors
- drafting & submitting grant proposals and reports to institutional funders
- assisting with preparation and logistics for events
- helping to manage a database for tracking all development and outreach activity
- the opportunity to take the lead in components of a long-term individual donors campaign
- running Third Wave's acknowledgments program
- administrative tasks
Individuals applying for this internship should have demonstrated:
- independence and initiative
- organizational skills and attention to detail
- excellent writing skills
- design experience and a desire to learn fundraising skills preferred
- experience conducting independent research
- ability to have fun!
- interest in feminist youth activism
Starting and ending dates can be flexible.
Please e-mail an updated resume and cover letter that includes your preferred start and end date and whether you will receive funding or school credit. Please put
EXTERNAL RELATIONS INTERNSHIP APPLICATION – YOUR NAME
in the subject bar. You can address the letter to Kim McKee at email@example.com. We will contact you if we are interested in scheduling an interview. We receive a lot of requests and may not be able to follow-up with each person individually. Thank you for your interest in Third Wave's work!
National NOW Young Feminist Task Force
National Organization for Women (NOW)