Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Note From Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney

Action Alert -- A Note From Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney


A Note From Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney


Dear Friends:
 
Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney has asked me to forward the press release below to all of you.
 
As many of you know, she has decided to not run for the NYS Senate seat that was vacated by Hillary Clinton. She has decided to stay in Congress. We thank Carolyn for all of the work that she has done on behalf of women, and we look forward to working with her to secure what is rightfully ours.........EQUALITY!
 
Now it is time to make sure that this senate seat is held by our Senator Kirsten Gillibrand. First, because Senator Gillibrand will work with us to secure equality for women and second, because we must keep this seat occupied by a woman. Women are still underrepresented in our government. NOW-NYS looks forward to working our Senator for years to come.
 
In Sisterhood
Marcia A. Pappas
President
NOW-NYS
 
For Immediate Release:

Statement from Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney

In seriously assessing a Senate Campaign, I have been inspired by all the calls of support I have received from a broad array of people from all over the state and encouraged by my strong showing in the polls.

However, these are unique times with unparalleled challenges and running for the Senate is a full time job.  Giving up for a critical period of time, the things I do best-passing legislation, working on the issues, serving New Yorkers would put politics before policy for the next year and a half. 

Working this past week to provide meaningful health care reform and to advance important legislation to help those who lost their health because of 9-11 attacks, which would bring more than $11 billion to the city of New York, brought into sharp focus the importance of the work we are doing in Congress and of what is at stake for the nation.

The right decision for me and the people I represent is to stay in the House of Representatives and use the leadership positions I hold, including Chair of the Joint Economic Committee, to get things done,

I make this decision, not because I fear a tough political fight, but because I love one. In this Congress, we have a once in a lifetime opportunity to enact meaningful health care reform, restore the trust and confidence in our financial systems, and  take a step toward a clean energy future.

We can do all this and more, but not without a mighty effort that deserves all my focus and all my energy. I welcome the challenge of shaping those bills and passing those reforms.

I look forward to working with Senators Schumer and Gillibrand and the NY delegation on behalf of our constituents, the State of New York and the American people.

I thank my family, friends and supporters for their confidence in me throughout this process. I may not be entering the race - but I will never leave the fight.
 
-end-

No comments:

Post a Comment