New York Abortion Access Fund Internship (Fall 2009)
New York Access Abortion Fund (NYAAF) offers internship positions on a semester basis, with positions in winter, summer, and fall.
Our internships are unpaid and positions can fill up to two semesters in advance. Some colleges and universities may award academic credit and/or financial stipends for semester-long internships. As an all-volunteer organization, NYAAF is currently unable to provide any financial compensation.Ideal candidates have interest in reproductive health care and justice, non-profits, and foundations.
Interns will have the opportunity to learn more about NYAAF's overall work and how funding decisions are made, participate in monthly board meetings, attend events and work on fundraising initiatives under the supervision of the board of directors.
We believe it is important to provide our interns an opportunity to feel ownership in the work they are doing, and we strive to provide work projects that allow our interns to use the skills they have, stimulate their personal interests and passions, and teach them new skills and new ways of thinking about reproductive health and justice.
- Respond to phone and e-mail requests for financial assistance, assess need based on minimal case management
- Work directly with clinics and women to fund abortions in New York State
- Coordinate funding with the board of directors
- Retrieve mail biweekly
- Maintain database of donations
- Draft and mail thank you notes
- Work with Treasurer to make bank deposits
- Create NYAAF branded materials for events, manage mailings and produce content for www.nyaaf.org as well as third party websites.
- Attend monthly meeting and press events; represent NYAAF when askedQualifications
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Experience and/or interest in reproductive health care, women's rights, feminism, as well as social and economic justice.
- An ability to plan and prioritize tasks to meet multiple deadlines
- Web, database and library research and writing skills
- Familiarity with Excel and/or other databases
- Interest in grassroots organizing
- Knowledge of reproductive health and justice issues
If you are interested in an internship with NYAAF, please send a cover letter and resume to NYAAF Board Chair at: firstname.lastname@example.org